Friday, January 23, 2015

Thanks EZ

Ok, so many years ago, I watched EZ and Meg Swansen's Knitting Glossary Videos, you know back when there was VHS tapes.  Elizabeth corrected a mistake in a cable that had gone the wrong direction.  I thought, neat, but I don't get it.  So for many years now, I've always ripped all of the rows back on an entire project when I found a mistake OR asked for the kindness of other knitters to fix my mistake for me.  Obviously, after many years I just didn't get it.

But, the other night when I sat down to knit some more on my Wool Peddler's Shawl, I saw an hole where it should not have been.  DANG!  I did not want to rip all the rows back on the entire shawl to fix that stupid hole, but I knew that I could not just leave it there, it would just plain bother me!


I thought what the heck, what is the worst thing that could happen?  I could foul it up and have to rip the all the rows back, so why not give it a try and just rip back the rows of the 10 stitch repeat that was affected.


At first, I was just going to do one stitch at a time, but that was a big fail.  Then, I started channeling EZ, and could just see her taking one strand at a time and re-knitting the row and then picking up the next strand and knitting the next row, just as the chart showed.

The first attempt had me picking the wrong strand, but then I laid them across the back in order and pretty soon, I had it and was knitting away.  Now, I am a thrower and not a picker, so it got a bit dicey as I got down to almost no yarn in my hand, but I managed.  I did say to myself, this would have been a bit easier if I learned how to pick really well.

But, I had success and I am pretty pleased with my first attempt of fixing just the part of the pattern that was out of sync.


Now, I wouldn't say I was an expert on this, nor would I want to do it all of the time, but I am pretty okay with the end result.  And it is all thanks to EZ.  I am becoming a knitter!

No comments: